Appium is one of the popular automation testing tools that is widely chosen by developers and textiles. This tool is mainly used while mobile automation testing. The reason is that it is free and has the ability to support both Android and iOS platforms. There is no denying that mobile apps have become a recent requirement for businesses and customers, and it has also increased the demand for developing mobile apps. As app testing plays an essential role in the overall process, Appium integration becomes the most common choice.
Every day businesses are looking forward to developing their mobile application to solve problems for customers and provide convenience. They require choosing the best company that can develop applications. Therefore, when it comes to reputation, it is a must for you to pay attention to the app by validating its quality, usability, and functionality.
What is Appium?
Appium is a reputed mobile app automation testing tool that is mostly used for automating processes. It supports various functionalities in testing mobile applications and mobile browsers. Using this automation testing tool, developers and testers can validate the response time, compatibility, usability of mobile applications and browsers on different mobile devices.
This high-quality tool focuses explicitly on Android and iOS applications. One of the most common reasons why it has become a common choice for testers is because it supports different programming languages like Java, PHP, Python, and others. Appium automation testing can be easily performed on emulators, simulators, and mobile devices.
What is the main reason behind the popularity?
Mobile app testing with Appium has become popular due to some of its unique features. Indeed, it offers advantages to developers and testers, making it a widely chosen tool. The following are the primary features that compel developers to choose this testing tool over others.
- It is a cross-platform tool where the testing can be easily performed on a range of platforms like Android, iOS, and Windows. On the other hand, other tools are primarily available to support Android testing.
- It is an open-source platform that can seamlessly reduce the total cost of developing and deploying mobile applications.
- This testing tool allows testers and QA engineers to seamlessly test different varieties of mobile applications like hybrid, Web, and native apps.
- It also provides the opportunity to execute test scripts simultaneously.
- It allows developers to use the recording tool for recording test cases.
Understanding Appium architecture:
It generally contains three major components, which include the following.
- Appium server
- Appium Client
- End device
Appium Client: The Appium Client includes scripted automation code. The codes are generally written in different programming languages preferred by the testers, including Ruby, Perl, Python, or Java. It also includes configuration, details of mobile devices, and applications. The details of scripted codes are generally used for running test cases in applications.
Appium Server: It is a server that has the ability to receive commands in the form of HTTP requests from client components. It generally makes use of node.JS servers where the commands are executed on devices. It is a need for professionals to install this component on computers prior to scripting automation code. Remember that the server is the intermediary between the client and end devices.
End Device: It generally refers to devices like mobile devices or emulators which are connected to the server. Typically, the execution of test cases happens on these devices.
Working of Appium:
- Professionals make connections with the HTTP server, and JSON protocol is used for communication.
- The server gets requests from the Client component.
- Then the server is connected to the framework for Android or iOS.
- The Android or iOS device receives test commands from the server. Generally, bootstrap.jar is used, which includes executable files. It enhances connection and secures test command transmission.
- It uses a specific framework for executing command requests on the devices.
- Then the test result will be sent to the server. That will again send HTTP responses to the client. It includes a status code that indicates server error or success.
How to create and run test scripts for Appium?
It is essential to follow a few steps to be able to create and run test cases successfully. Following are the three simple steps that you must know before you start mobile app testing with Appium.
- Start by creating projects, adding packages, and creating classes for writing test scripts in Eclipse.
- You have to stay assured that the libraries are correctly configured with the dependencies of Appium.
- Now you have to start writing the code that will help to easily launch the Play Store application.
The most recommendable way is to run the test script and properly monitor it on the desktop screen of Appium. You will find the screen showing logs which will help you to understand that the script is already running.
What are the limitations of using this testing tool?
Like any other testing tool available for automating mobile app testing, Appium integration is no exception. There are certain limitations to using this tool, and the following are some of them.
- It might not be a practical choice when it comes to managing image recognition algorithms. Professionals might require employing different image-handling techniques.
- Appium is not capable of working with older Android APIs, but you can use another testing tool as an alternative.
- It has very slow execution for iOS platforms.
- Using Appium might require professionals to use other programs for different steps.
When it comes to developing, engaging, and high-functioning apps for mobiles, companies must realize the potential of automated testing tools. As the demand for Android and iOS apps is constantly rising due to the growing number of users, it has resulted in increased competition among companies. So if you want to become a leading name, it is crucial for you to choose the right automated testing tool like Appium for creating and running test scripts.
The excellent ability of this automated testing tool makes it a widely used testing tool for mobile apps. Even though it requires using other programs to successfully complete the tests, it is worth the time and effort.